Sunday, May 20, 2007

In the Headlines...

It's been a while since I've blogged, so here's a summary of recent events:


New Shampoo.
I was running out of starter shampoo, so my consultant suggested I give Suave clarifying shampoo a try. I washed my hair with it for the first time yesterday, and I'm very pleased. It comes in this cool, clear bottle, has a light, pleasant scent... But the best part: It cost just $1.59! Cleans like the dickens, too. I used it diluted in a trigger spray bottle -- just as I do with the Sisterlocks product, and it works great and creates a nice lather. My consultant asked me to let her know if this product alters the feel of my hair too much, and I'm happy to report that so far, it hasn't. (Still braiding and banding, by the way.)

The count
Finally broke down and decided to count the locks. The grand total (unless I messed up): 504. I got curious because I had been reading posts on lockitup where people were complaining that they didn't have enough locks; some even took theirs down and got them redone. I feel blessed that mine turned out great, because this is one sister who isn't about to pick out 500-plus locks.

Natural hair meetup
The Michigan natural hair meetup on May 6 went well. I'd encourage sisters from other parts of the country to try the same thing.
It was such a beautiful experience, being in the room with so many other sisterlocked sisters. We were fortunate to have Dr. Cornwell's sister and niece there. We all learned many interesting tips, asked questions, answered questions, poked around in each other's hair and shared our testimonials. There were a couple of unlocked women there, and I believe this event will help them as they decide what they will do.
The biggest takeaway, however: Sisterlocks are like snowflakes. No two heads look alike. Everybody looked great, yet nobody looked the same: there were thick locks; thin locks; lush, curly locks; colored locks; loose-curl locks, micros, on and on. My favorite quote from one of the women there, looking around at everyone else: "I have a serious case of lock envy!"

Growing
On a personal note: My hair appears to be growing nicely, but it's one of those things that's so gradual, sometimes you can't really tell. I wear a headband less often now. Will post some pictures eventually. I'm two weeks away from my third-month Sisterlocks anniversary and my second retightening. That may be a good time to do it.

Peace,
Treklocs