Saturday, March 24, 2007

That hair thing ... again!

I have a friend who is interested in Sisterlocks, especially since seeing mine. She's been wearing a press and curl for years, but is looking for an option that will give her more freedom to exercise.
She broached the subject with her husband recently. His reaction: "I'd be very disappointed."
My friend was so ticked that she thought about getting her locs right away! But she knew she wouldn't be doing it in the right spirit.
Anyway, her hubby later apologized and acknowledged that he had no right to tell her what to do with her hair.
I mention this because it illustrates a point that frustrates me: Why do we as African American women have to climb over so many hurdles just to be ourselves in this society?

On a positive note: I'm now nearly three weeks into SLs. Had my follow-up appointment earlier this week. My consultant says the locs are coming along quite well! She especially loves the way the ends are behaving. So that's a relief!
And I reached a milestone of sorts: A few days ago, I gave away my ceramic flat iron. No need for that anymore. (It never straightened my hair much anyway -- LOL.) I guess I'll have to give away my electric pressing comb, too. Gotta find another way to test the smoke detector. :-)
The collection of hair oils, creams, sprays, etc. will be next. This is going to be fun.

1 comment:

Maryee said...

Girl say that!!!! It is such a liberating time to be able to clear out the "Cupboard" and get rid of the stuff we don't need anymore...mind, body and sourl!! My sister was like, "girl, throw that stuff away!!!"

Well of course you do what you want to with it, but it's such a freeing feeling moving to the next step in the journey.

As for your friend's husband, send him to some blogs so he can be "enlightened". Wishing you and your friend all the best!

Maryee