Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Journey of an Extension

I found this remarkable series of newspaper articles from 2003 that traced the origins of human hair extensions. From the devout women in India who sacrifice their long hair at a Hindu temple, to the hair processing factories, and all the way to the corner beauty supply store and the braiding salon.

This is years old - but new to me.

It's really enlightening. It's a four-day written series, with a narrated slideshow (requires Shockwave). http://www.tennessean.com/special/hair/

There's also an audio recording of a roundtable discussion.

4 comments:

C & C said...

whoa sister! this is my first time in your blog and i just want to let you know...you rock the heck outta those sl's J!

now about these articles....first off thanks for sharing. its so crazy to me how we (aa women) get sucked up into this mess. we do it so much and so often its not even a second thought to buy someone else’s hair and put it on our heads. we have made so many other people rich just because we believe/ believed the kinky beautifulness that grows out of our heads is inferior. Glory is the day when we open our eyes and realize the beauty of our own hair!!!!

Ms Stella said...

I second what kinky awakenings said. Thanks for sharing these articles. I spent lots of time and money buying other peoples hair and I always felt it was wrong in the pit of my stomach. I was so happy when I took the blinders off and discovered Sisterlocks.

By the way, you've been tagged!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading "In the headlines", I couldn't figure out how to comment on it...I to know I wanted sisterlocks when I saw them..I waited maybe less than 6 months to decide that is for me...I also have had the joy to share with other sisterlocker in Chicago, our Chicago Sisterlock gatherings. Thus far we have had 2 gatherings with another slated for early fall...Enjoy your journey...

Maryee said...

That was deep! Thanks for sharing.